Saturday, December 1, 2012

High Fashion

I have been accused, more than once, over the years of being singularly lacking in fashion sense.  Not without cause I suppose.  Being graced with a stature that has precluded my having ever found an item of clothing that really fits properly, combined with the profoundest indifference, leads me to chose whatever is comfortable and functional.  Fashion does not enter into the equation.

Recent depictions of me aside, I own neither a dress nor a pair of red shoes.  Or a purse.  Still, I can say with a fair degree of certainty, that I am not the strangest looking person one might see wandering the aisles of a grocery store at 2:00 am, so it's OK. 

I am here today though, with incontrovertible proof that high fashion is alive and well here on the farm.  Ramsey debuted his new footwear at Cornell yesterday with devastating effect.  I have never seen the place so crowded and busy with owners, vets and students rushing from one crisis to another, but Ramsey stopped traffic and had people near to swooning at the shear adorableness when he walked down the aisle...

The friend who trucked Ramsey quipped that the shoe was a bigger hit then Ramsey.  My reply to that was, "it's the man that makes the clothes"....



In case any of you are wondering where I found such perfect little shoes...I have been looking for some kind of protective footwear for Ramsey since he came home from Cornell.  A reader in Canada had the excellent suggestion to try dog booties, but I had trouble finding anything I thought would work. They are also expensive.  She also sent me a link to a site selling boots for mini horses, but when I checked it out, the boots were unavailable.  They also cost $80 EACH, which I think is crazy.  Finally, I turned to my friend Google and did a search for mini-horse boots and this video popped up.  It took me a few minutes to actually figure out what she was talking about and then I was highly skeptical, but the more I watched, the more I thought "huh, that could work".

These perfect little Ramsey shoes are actually made for Teddy Bears.  I know, who'd a thunk right?  I sure wouldn't have.  I was willing to try though, and for $7 a pair (and that includes shipping), Ramsey is stylin' in his very own build-a-bear shoes.  Or maybe that should be build-a-donkey shoes?

25 comments:

  1. He be stylin' with those new kicks of his. Absolutely too cute. Hope he keeps them on and doesn't figure out how to untie them. He's a lucky boy to have a great mom like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh Kris they are soooo cute!!! BTW I don't own a dress or red shoes either, nor a skirt or dress pants for that matter, and I think the profoundness of my indifference is probably about equal only I use stronger words for it. :)
    Diana RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely brilliant! They look functional AND teeth-wateringly cute!
    He looks like he is walking a bit better, too. Go Ramsay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just the cutest! From desperation comes innovation, great thinking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who'd a thunk! Is right! They sure are totally adorable! What size does he wear in Teddy bear boots? Buddy and Star just might be 'stylin' come spring time! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is amazing. They look like they fit pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how sweet, he really is stylin...........sure hope it helps him.......Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find, Kris! You chose the perfect pair for Ramsey, although those Star high tops would look pretty cute too.

    I absolutely adore high fashion, but I am not fashionable...at all. I feel like a drag queen when I have to get 'dressed up', which is usually for the occasional family funeral.

    I actually lost a high end customer because my clothes weren't cool....she'd nag me about my hair, my baggy jeans...

    I did spy some cute red shoes at Build a bear...think Emma might fit into them?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found something that works - those are adorable! But i think those laces are going to be too much for Ramsey to ignore :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just checked the website, they make them with velcro - I think he needs a pair for Sundays - how about the "Chopper Hot Lights" ???

    ReplyDelete
  11. So adorable!! Maybe you can contact BAB and let them know about the use of their shoes and possibly they could make some extra pair for you a bit stronger. This would be great advertising for them! Maybe even sponser you and make a "Build a Donkey" named Ramsey!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are adorable! And I agree with Tree Hugger - let those people know that the cutest baby donkey in the world is wearing their shoes, and they might surprise you with a gift! I even watched the other video all the way to the end, and I don't have any kind of equine!

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so COOL!!!! unbelievable :)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. How absolutely adorable!! Does he ever untie them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great find! Can't beat the price, they are cute and if they WORK.....wow, you want to shout that kind of usefullness from the rooftops. I'm with you on the clothing thing - even as a little girl I didn't like dresses. It's like I knew I couldn't DO anything fun or useful wearing one, certainly not play in the barn!
    Yay for Ramsey and his good mom(well, both of them)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awesome :-D So glad Ramsey had a good report!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is like the cutest thing I have ever seen : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable! I have several friends who cart-drive their mini-donkeys in parades and have been putting BAB shoes on them for several years. As you can imagine, those little mini-donkeys pulling carts in their little sneakers are a huge hit by all the spectators.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are resourcefulness personified!
    Now I have in my mind this image of water resistant, studded BAB snow boots... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too damn cute, and double so if they help him heal! What a lucky donkey to have you for his human.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, how adorable is that! How terrific they are working out. Fantastic shopping you did!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute and what a great idea! Adorable is what it is!!
    I don't own a dress either!

    ReplyDelete