Sunday, March 6, 2016

My Kind of Winter

It felt a bit like Spring today - sunny and calm.  We've had our share of crappy weather this winter, but, overall, it has been blessedly mild.  What a difference from last winter.  We've had snow, but not much and the ground is clear.

I remember the blizzard we had in March of '93(I think) so we aren't out of the woods yet.  I particularly remember buying an incredibly shaggy, white pony at an auction the day that blizzard came in and the crazy time we had getting him home when everyone backed out of trucking him at the last minute.  A friend and I had to rush home, build a make-shift wooden box on the back of an equipment trailer, rush back to the auction house through heavy snow, stuff the poor pony in the box and crawl home through one of the worst blizzards in history.  I was hoping and praying with every inch that the box, pony and all, wouldn't blow off and disappear into the storm.

The pony did make it home unscathed and intact.  I named him Blizzard, of course, because what else right?

Nope, we aren't out of the woods yet.  But, the days are getting longer and brighter and I am so grateful for the mild winter we've had so far.  I haven't had to use the snow blower on the driveway yet this year.  Precious remains parked in the shed, all ready to go, but sulking at his neglect.  Let him sulk I say.

I'm not the only one who is very grateful for the mild winter we have had.

It was a quiet Sunday on the farm today, which felt good.  I spent some time this afternoon giving everyone a thorough grooming.  As any real horse lover knows, there is true peace to be found in a curry comb.

I even got the vacuum out and really made a proper job of it.

The donkeys are particularly fond of the vacuum, even if I do have to keep a very sharp eye on Ramsey so that he doesn't chew the power cord.

 Vacuuming donkeys is a bit like trying to clean a heavy shag rug.

Good thing they aren't avocado-green and orange.  What were people thinking when they thought orange and green shag carpeting was a good idea?  It had to be the drugs.

Tessa adds enough color to the place....

...and natural shades are so much more appealing.

If every winter were like this rare gem,

I might even learn to like it.

Maybe.






9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've gotten a break...so far. What kind of vacuum do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an old Rapid Groom vacuum that I bought in the mid 90's. It is still in great shape and has been worth every penny.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful! I'm not sure that my herd would be too fond of the vaccum. I think they'd have to get used to it first of course.
    How handy that would be!
    Currying in the spring is one of my favorite things to do.
    I'll be busy today with it as the temps will rise to 60?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your funny remarks sprinkled throughout your post! Some made me laugh out loud - "Had to be the drugs" and "Let him sulk, I say" - hilarious!

    Glad Blizzard was gotten home safely through that bad blizzard back in the day! I don't think I could put together a box even not in a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great idea to use an old vacuum, we use to have a cat that loved it, he would almost attack the cleaner until you turned the hose on him...he loved it. Your critters all look good winter was kind to them:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing hair...the donkey hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post! I don't know what the horses would do at the barn if I tried using a vacuum on them. Might be worth a try as hair is beginning to fall E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E! Ugh! I'm thankful for you that your winter has been mild. I'm thankful that I don't live in snow country. Here in Northern CA we just have to worry about enough rain to fall. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ", there is true peace to be found in a curry comb. " this is so true. I'm enjoying the weather too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, well, yet another thing that I have never heard of---a vacuum attachment for grooming horses and donkey. Looks like a great idea

    ReplyDelete