Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Lovely Conversation

Between hunting season, weather, work and other such interferences, it's been at least eight weeks, maybe ten, since I rode my horse.  Saturday afternoon, we had an all too brief reprieve on all fronts and I decided to take Tessa out for a much needed ride.

This is where Tessa really proves her worth.  She is only 5 years old, her training has been haphazard at best and includes an 18 month layoff after she got kicked.  She hasn't been out of the pasture in at least two months, but I threw my ill-fitting saddle (I still have not managed to resolve that little problem) on her, told the donkeys to be good, climbed aboard and headed off, just her and I, without so much a twitched ear.
 
There may be some gaps in Tessa's training, some of the finer points are still lacking and she would be clueless in an arena, but that is my fault not hers.  I hate arena work anyways.  There may be some aspects of her conformation I am not thrilled with, but she moves easy over any terrain I point her at.  She may be out of shape and overweight, which is also my fault, but you can't ask for much more out of any horse, especially a young one, than to be able to hop on at a moments notice and have a nice ride. 

Tessa is light and responsive, she may not always understand what I am asking yet, but she always tries her heart out.  In those rare, precious moments when we both get it just right, we flow through the woods without thought or hesitation. 

Riding Tessa is always a constant conversation, me asking, showing; her listening, questioning, questing, trying.  Always trying.  We had a lovely, if fairly short, ride in the woods.  We were only out for about 45 minutes as the light was failing and she is not in shape for it, but it was good while it lasted.  Tessa was certainly "up", but never out of control or unwilling to listen.  I just love the way this horse is always ready to head off down the trail, ears up, moving out, willing and eager to see what's round the next bend.  We need to find a way to do this more often.
 

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a glorious ride to me! Always enjoy reading your blog from the southeast corner of Washington state. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Arena training trains them to ride an arena and not necessarily the woods. I hope I don't offend anyone with that statement. I begin in the round pen and train in an open area. My training with Siera has been like this and with Badger before that.
    It works with a willing animal.
    Kudos for you and what a wonderful ride it must have been.
    We are at -10 right now with wind chills in the -25+.
    Hope you don't get that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way she has an ear cocked back, listening to you. To me that's always the sign of a horse that's willing to please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am soooo glad you two made it out on such a glorious day!! I was home with family and having our Christmas dinner but my thoughts kept wandering to the woods walking through the silent snow covered trails on my horse with you and Tessa.....happy for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sounds like she is with the perfect rider partner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful mare. Lucky, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed the wonderfulness!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm. This is the answer to the age old question of "What makes a good horse?" The answer is relevant only to the person who is riding the horse. Seems to me like she is the perfect horse for you. You hate arena work, so there for she does not need it. You want a trail horse so her best lessons will always be on the trail. Besides, any horse that doesn't need "tuned up" (I hate that phrase) after sitting for 2 months is a good horse in my book.

    But then this isn't about what I think, it is about what you think about your girl. Sounds to me like a match made in heaven. I am so glad you got some time to ride. Looks gorgeous, although cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything you described is what I always looked for in a horse to ride... ready and willing to go forward... I didn't worry about arenas, either... just a happy ride on a trail, and that's what you had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tessa sounds like she is worth her weight in gold! What a pleasure to have such a young horse that is so willing. Arena work is tedious in our view I'm afraid, we much prefer the trail and a good trail horse is just as useful as a dressage diva in our books. Glad to see you back in the saddle, hope it won't be long before you get out again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful, she sounds like a gem. I am very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like Tessa is a very special girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Libby is an arena mare! She is totally comfortable in there, and yes, it is BORING! But we are working on the trail ride side of it. She does like to go out on trails, ONCE she gets it in her mind to do so. I do not have the luxury of just hoping on and going for a trail ride. But the neighbor has a nice 10 acre pasture we ride in a lot. Sort of like trails. Tessa is worth her weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete