Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Updates and Advice

I have talked with a couple of vets today, but still have not managed to get one to come out and check on Emma and her baby.  In all fairness, one of them will come out here, but she does not have the right ultrasound machine to actually give me much useful info.  By her own admission, I would be better getting someone else.  The one vet who does have the right machine has not yet returned any of my calls.

Emma seems to be having episodes of false labor, which are rare but not unheard of in equines.  So far, I am still hopeful that all is well and Emma is working towards delivering a healthy baby.  It may be that the baby is trying to move into the birthing position and because of Emma's small stature, it is triggering the false labor.  If I still can't reach the person with the magic machine in the morning, I will at least have Emma checked by the one vet willing to come out.  She can at least tell me if the baby is still OK.  

Aside from the false labor episodes, Emma acts healthy and happy.  She has a good appetite, still wants her daily scratching and brushing sessions, begs for treats and in general acts happy and content.  All of  which is why I have not yet panicked.  If it comes down to it, I will find someone to truck her to Cornell, but I am not ready to put her through that yet.  I consider it a last resort due to the stress it would cause her at this time.   

In the meantime, Tessa has offered her own advice on how to handle foaling stress.  Actually, Tessa says this is just the way one should live.  I wish I could learn how to follow this advice... 

"Keep your strength up with plenty of good food...
  
Take a nap whenever the opportunity presents itself...

Stay close to good friends...

And do your best to SHINE all the time"...

2 comments:

  1. I guess if it would been you, the one tha's having a baby,you would of have better time than the one your passing through.
    Is it cornell to far from you? two hours driving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Emma is acting healthy and happy is a great relief. I see that you have a Twitter follow button up there on your sidebar. Think I'll go press it right now. I'll be anxiously awaiting the birth announcement.

    ReplyDelete