Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Tectonic Shift

A truly major shift has occurred on my farm, one that I never envisioned.  If there is one thing I have learned in my life it is to never say never.

Riding Buddy and I have been talking about this shift for well over a year.  With Izzy's passing last week, Hawkey was left with no herd at all and, somewhat to my own surprise, I have decided to let Tessa go down to Riding Buddy's place to keep him company.  RB needs another horse to work with and keep Hawkeye company.  She also needs it to be a good, sound, young horse, who will be both fun and safe, which is a very rare combination.  Tessa fits that bill.

I have not been able to do much riding this summer for a variety of reasons and Tessa needs more exercise.  She also enjoys getting out and doing things.  RB's place is only a mile away and we should be able to ride out together from her farm easier than the two of us riding out alone to meet in the middle.  We hope that we will actually be able to ride more this way.  I will have one less critter to care for over the winter, the donkeys will have more room in the barn, Hawkeye will have a friend, Tessa will get to hang out with her boyfriend and (hopefully) get more exercise and RB will have another good horse to work with.

It should be a win-win for all of us.


It is a good plan and I think it will work out well, but it is a monumental shift in my world.  Horses have been central to my life for as long as I can remember.  If you had said to me 10 years ago that I would look out to my barn and find three donkeys and no horses, I'd have suggested heavy medication and therapy.  It is a jolt to walk into my tack room and not see a saddle.  It is even more of a jolt to walk to the barn and not hear Tessa's unique and distinctive wuffling, warbling nicker or look out my window and not see a horse. 

The donkeys are doing their best to convince me that no horses are needed.  They miss Tessa a bit, but Ben and Ramsey have been vying for her favorite corner in the barn all day.  Without her wading through their ranks, they feel even freer to crowd around me, demanding attention, affection and entertainment.

Tessa will be sporting a grazing muzzle just like Hawkeye's, maybe she will even lose a bit of weight.  One can always hope.


Last night, I spent a couple of hours repairing my manure spreader and all three donkeys were there for every scintillating moment.  Tessa would have eventually gotten bored and wandered off.  The donkeys didn't want to miss a single swear word, not even the ones directed at them when I tripped over one of them. 

I would never let Tessa stay with just anybody and I wouldn't put her with any other horses.  She is not happy being out with most horses and does not feel safe with them, but she has known Hawkeye for a long time and has always been very enamored with him.  While she will miss her donkeys, I believe she will enjoy staying with him and it is good for her to be around other horses.

All-in-all, I think this will be good for everyone.  It will just take me a while to adjust to this massive change in the world's geography. 





12 comments:

  1. It certainly sounds like the stars aligned, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a big change. I know that you thought it out thoroughly and I'm sure that Tess will enjoy her new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A smart move and I hope it works well for all. I'm sitting here crying thinking about not having my horses in the barn when I go out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a shock. I'm sure none of us saw this coming; but I think we are all confident that you have thought this through, with only Tessa's welfare in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't owned a short ear for years.... and my farm runs so smoothly with just Mules and Donkeys..... you might like the change..... funny how things happen and seem to fit into place!
    Bodie says "Hi" to Ben!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH goodness! How strange it will be to not have her right outside. But she's only a mile away thank goodness. You can get a donkey free Tessa fix anytime you need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stop thinking about this huge change. It makes sense but still must be hard and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I know, win-win. But it caught at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A mile isn't so far. I think you and Emma will miss her the most.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is no doubt a shift, and normally I would be all ohhh-nooo - but not in this case. For all the reasons you mentioned. Wishing you all more happy trails together!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can see Tessa often! Sounds like a win win and I hope it all works out:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a good plan in reality and a very sound one. Horses do like their company! I wish I had a riding buddy! I used to and she would come and ride with me nearly every other day. That was long ago.

    ReplyDelete