Thursday, March 15, 2012

Return of The Swamp Thing

Tanner doesn't like hot weather and he gets overheated easily.  In the summer, I always take him hiking somewhere with water so that he can swim.  Swimming holes aren't available in March though, even with the early Spring we are haveing, they are still frozen or moving too fast.  So, during this crazy, beautiful, wonderful weather we're having, he has to make-do with whatever he can find...

Tessa and Emma have not really started shedding yet and they are feeling the heat as well.  It was 70 degrees and sunny this afternoon and to them, it may as well have been 110 degrees.  They hid out in the back of the barn and I had to sponge them both off to cool them down.  I am loving this weather and I wish it were normal, but it definitely isn't and it is hard on the animals. 

Emma seems particularly bothered by the heat, she doesn't seem to handle extreme temperature changes well.  I am not sure if this is common with donkeys, a by-product of her pregnancy or if she has a unique problem handling drastic changes in temperatures since she doesn't deal well with the cold either.  If this keeps up, I may actually have to get  a set of clippers and help the shedding process along.  Either that, or put in a swimming pool big enough for all of us.  I might just be able to afford the clippers and something tells me that Tanner is going to have to keep making-do with puddles.

No comments:

Post a Comment