Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Why I Don't Build Snowmen

Someone, was it Terri, sorry I haven't had time to check, suggested I build a snowman for Ramsey.  I can see some possibilities there, he would probably have fun with it, so would Emma and Tessa.  I wonder how long it would last.  There is only one problem - I HATE snow.  Why? Let me give you a little example......

A nice little snowstorm came by last night and dumped another 14 inches on top of us.  Figuring that, hey at least it all fell overnight and I had the day to deal with it, I stoically trudged out to the barn to get the snow blower going hoping that I could get it done before the arctic blast barreling in on 40mph winds arrived in full force dropping the temps down into the negative numbers.  Again.  With that extra special wind chill thing going strong too.  

There was only one little problem.  The engine on the snow blower was frozen solid.  Again.  Don't ask me why this happens, I've had the thing worked on half a dozen times, I store it in the barn and dry it off after every use, but the flipping engine freezes solid when I most need it.  The engine will NOT turn over at all in this state and trying to make it will only break it.  I tried starting it in extreme cold last year,  not realizing what had happened and succeeded only in breaking the electric starter forever.

This is how I find myself manhandling (I really need a new term here, I sure haven't seen any men handling anything around here after all) the snowblower, whose wheels won't move either, cause hey, it's frozen, onto my little kiddie sled and dragging it sideways into the house so the darling little prima Dona can warm up in front of the woodstove while I go out and shovel for 3 hours.  Even the pschyo border collie puppy thinks this is a crazy idea. 



But, it works and the machine started just in time for those 40 mph winds to really get going.  Yay.

So anyway, I don't think I'm gonna make any snowmen.  They're too squishy to make good target practice after all.

13 comments:

  1. LOL! Laughing with you, not at you. ;) Yesterday, the driver-side window on my truck froze in the DOWN position. I had to make the afternoon commute home - 30 minutes on the freeway -- with the window down. I considered bringing the whole darn truck inside to thaw it out, but well...it won't fit through the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I shouldn't mention this today ---- but I've never even seen a snowblower ---- signed: A Desert Rat

    ReplyDelete
  3. That machine sounds positively ridiculous! We can put men on the moon, but the snowblower needs to be warm?? I'm sorry that winter is hating on those up north so badly! Most especially those with livestock. I pray for warmer, milder weather for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Building a snowman creates 5 minutes of entertainment and some photos. (http://journeywithadancinghorse.blogspot.ca/2014/01/oh-carnage.html). Probably not worth it. We got the same storm that you did and we've been digging out all morning. I dream of owning a tractor with a snow blower attachment.....Oh and an indoor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness. You really do have some temperamental machinery don't you? Take your time, stay safe, TRY and keep warm. And keep your cell phone with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good lord I'm sorry but I chuckled a little. I don't get snowblowers at all, thank goodness my husband has a great skid steer to do the heavy lifting around here.
    This year I bought a huge sled for hauling hay and other big things.
    I see that you are a smart lady who thinks ahead. I wouldn't have thought to bring the damn thing in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I'm sorry! :( If I were having to work so hard, and in those conditions, and transport to and from a job (an hour or so?) on top of it all, every day...think I'd go a little postal. Or take to drinking. I am hoping for your sake, that it warms up, and very soon. In the meantime, I am cursing the snow with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why I don't have a snowblower or a riding lawnmower. I have an electric tiller, weed eater and chainsaw. I am not a mechanic and don't have the means to haul things to a mechanic. So you are a hero just for trying in my book. When I saw the snow coming down, I moved my car closer to the gate. It got drifted in anyway. I had to dig out with a shovel, and a toothache, so I could get to the dentist. I am thankful I don't have the length of driveway that you do. Hang in there. Your luck just has to change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were so smart to put that wood stove downstairs - in your giant mudrroom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any snowblower that freezes up isn't worth SH**! I swear it makes things 20 times more irritating (about the weather) when mechanical things refuse to budge. Psycho border collie puppy in that picture looks like he's saying "Mom, why are you so angry at a piece of metal that doesn't care!" Take care, stay warm and I'm with you - I don't have time for snowmen either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was telling my husband about your woes with the snowblower and he wanted me to tell you that a hundred watt bulb in a reflector-type work like put on it would help keep it from freezing. I know that you're educated to take care of most problems you encounter, but he wanted to emphasize the reflector which would make a difference over a bare bulb. He also said to make sure you've got the right weight oil, like a 5W30 or 5W in it. I've thought many times when you tell about all your problems keeping equipment running that if we lived nearby he'd help you. That's what he does. He seems to know how to fix everything or figures it out with research. He's retired and has worked well over 40 hours some weeks helping people with 'fixing', remodeling, computers, cars, electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling, painting, and snowblowing. He does about 7 driveways with his snowblower every time he does ours. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete