Wednesday, February 27, 2013

When God Laughs

Those of you who have been following along for a while may remember that I originally bought Emma to be a companion for Tessa.  Specifically, I thought a donkey would be a cheap, easy, hardy and safe friend for my injured mare.

What I ended up with was a young jenny who proved to have been bred several months shy of her first birthday.  A lovely, but extremely underage little donkey who showed all the classic signs of imminent foaling for at least three months along with full blown false labor a month before she actually delivered.  Not exactly stress free or easy.

We all survived that very long and protracted ordeal mostly intact.  You may recall that Ramsey lost the very tip of his tail and the tip of one ear to Emma's overzealous mothering once he finally arrived, but hey, what's the tips of a couple of appendages in the grand scheme right?

Four months of relative peace were then followed by a frantic, life or death trip to Cornell, the momentary (thankfully transitory) threat of brain abscesses, surgery and vet bills of such staggering proportions that I haven't yet had the courage to add them all up. All this followed up by another 4 months of extremely intensive, difficult, expensive care.  So much for cheap, easy and hardy.

I'm not complaining mind you.  I love my donkeys and I am very grateful to have them.  I love what they have brought into my life, particularly all of you out there reading this who have also come to love these donkeys.  I am glad to have learned so much about these incredible creatures who I used to dismiss so casually and I remind myself often lately that education is never cheap.  It's just that I have been thinking back to my silly notion of a cheap, easy, hardy companion animal and know that God must be laughing his a** off.

Do you ever wonder what it sounds like when God laughs?  I think I know.  I think it sounds a lot like this....

13 comments:

  1. I'd be willing to bet you are correct!!! DRR

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been a very loving, caring and responsible mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the video. Soooo freaking cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least you are keeping your sense of humour! LOL LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kris, I empathize TOTALLY! I have had a lion's share of donkey troubles during my 10+ years of owning them. I wouldn't trade them for anything though, I am completely smitten but stuff happens to all sentient beings. Like you, I've learned tons. Hang in there - your knowledge will help others some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Your cover photo! PERFECT! Now that I am over the awe of it, I will make a comment! Teehee....Love Ramsey's little bray, I mean big bray. He sounds so cute. Totally adorable when he came to you asking, "What gives? Let me out already!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Ramsey had some antlers, he'd look like a Reindeer! Was he braying because Emma was out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music to our ears! The header photo is very good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure that is exactly how it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never, and will never (I'm a senior apartment dweller with one cat) own donkeys, but I have learned a lot through your blog. I've learned that they are wonderful creatures, full of fun and love. I've learned they might need special care, and that people like you are there to give it to them. I know if I met you in person I would love you for the wonderful being you are. And I know that Emma (also my Calico kitty's name) and Ramsey have a place in my heart.

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got to thinking that God made the donkey bray so "he" always has something to make "him" laugh when the times get to weary.

    ReplyDelete