Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Cast your vote

 The puppy is either going to be Leo because he is a fierce little lion or Aero because he is already very aerodynamic.  What is your vote?

Friday, April 23, 2021

Language Barriers

A visual essay on the fundamental differences between Border Collies and Windsprites....

Connor may not do cuddling and all the touchy-feely stuff, but he loves Cora and is totally accepting of the new puppy.  He is amazingly good with all puppies and he loves having his very own pack.  You aren't ever going to see cute pictures of him snuggling in bed, but he is the best pack leader and mentor a puppy can have and he is very happy with his Windsprites.  Even if the rotten little devil does steal his Frisbee.

Thursday, April 22, 2021

You Can't Have Just One

 Windsprites are unusual dogs - quick, clever, silly, snuggly, endearingly naughty.  Sooo naughty.

Their people kept telling me that you can't have just one.  I didn't believe that and we were doing just fine with one - Border Collies and Windsprites go well together.  It is true, though, that they don't always speak the same language.  So, when my friend Ann, who introduced me to the breed in the first place, had a litter of puppies and asked me if I wanted one, I said NO WAY.  But, then I asked Cora and all the other Windsprites I see playing Windsprite-games and agaonized over it for ages.  

Well.....you can see where this is going. 

Say hello to Bright Light's Dash of Brilliance:

I was going to call him Dash, but now that he is here, he makes me think of a little lion cub every time I see him.  He even has this insanely cute little roar he does.  I haven't found a name that sticks to him yet.  Suggestions?? 

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Spring Fever

 I know it's been a while, but there hasn't been a whole lot to blog about recently other than how utterly sick of deep snow we have all been.  Between the snow, the job, the pandemic...it is hard to find words that feel relevant and equally hard to find words that feel creative or interesting.  

All of the donkeys are doing well, though they are as sick of snow as I am.  Qilin continues to grow mentally and, most definitely, physically.  He is taller than Ben now, but still at an awkward, gawky stage.  His relationship with Cora (and dogs in general) is interesting.  He and Kaia were kindred spirits, siblings of sorts as they were born at nearly the same time.  They were quite fond of each other and played together all the time.  Qilin is good with Cora - now anyways - but does not have the same relationship with her that he had with Kaia.  I doubt that could be recreated.  He is totally accepting of my dogs and dogs he is familiar with.  Strange dogs on the other hand.....let's just say the dragon half of his hybrid soul comes out in spades and I'm not talking about the friendly sort of dragon.  

The mind of a mule is an interesting and many layered thing.

And, of course, there is Cora.  She is a blessing that has helped all of us cope with the loss of Kaia though that is a gaping hole that will never be filled.  Cora is a bridge over that chasm.  

She is very different from Kaia and yet, like most siblings, every now and then she does something so similar to Kaia that it steals my breath away.  

Cora is maybe a bit softer, not quite the bold, fearless adventurer that Kaia was but some of that is also that she has been as constrained by deep snow as the rest of us.  We have finally had a reprieve from that and she is able to really stretch her legs.  She just turned 6 months old and is suddenly realizing that she can fly.

Connor is very glad to have her as is Ian.  Border Collies and Whippets go well together.

Of course, she is also very naughty.  Happily, delightfully, maddeningly naughty.

And weird.  Windsprites are so endearingly weird๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

There are signs of Spring, my favorite season, all around.  We had a few really nice, warm days that wiped out most of the snow.  A huge flock of blackbirds has shown up at the feeder and we are all able to get out and stretch our legs.  The Spring Rush is nearly on us and we can't wait.  

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Still Here

We're all still here.  The new job is intense, exhausting, interesting.  Hard but mostly good.  I talk to people who have been positively diagnosed with COVID all day.  Some have no symptoms, some have the sniffles, some are really, really sick.  Some can't talk to me because they aren't ever going to speak to anyone ever again.  

Mostly, the people who get tested are the ones who can afford it if they need to stay home.  They have sick leave and savings. Jobs they can go back to.  The ones who can't afford it are mostly doing what they always do - survive or die quietly.

This isn't the flu and everyone should have worn their Goddamm masks last March.