Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Poor Hungry Hippo

Gabe was acting a bit odd yesterday afternoon.  He kept calling to me, nickering at me, begging for food.  I'd just filled the hay boxes, Tessa was perfectly happy, the donkeys were happy, Gabe looked and acted totally healthy so what the heck?

I finally went out to check the hay again and then just stood back and watched.  I think that simply really watching an animal is about the best diagnostic tool there is.  It only took a moment to see that Gabe was having trouble eating.  Every time he tried to take a bite of food he would jerk his head up, rub his nose, toss his head...he finally stood back from the hay, whinnied at me and pawed at the ground.  There is obviously something wrong in his mouth.

I  got his halter and a flashlight, checked everything I could, flushed his mouth out with water from a syringe, but couldn't find or fix the problem.  I took his feed out of the hay box and left it on the ground, he was able to pick through and get some food that way.  He is now getting meals of soaked hay pellets and he still manages to eat quite a lot of so he is in no danger of starving.  Lord knows he could stand to lose a few pounds, but....

The vet is coming out tomorrow to check him.  I think I have spent more money on vet bills in the last 6 months than I have in the previous 30 years.  Argh!

Ah well, I've talked them into doing the regular Spring shots as well so I don't have to have them back out again in another month.  That's something I suppose.

A very grumpy, hungry horse...

7 comments:

  1. Darn critters! He looks definately like he has something stuck! Maybe a sticker or sliver in his tongue? Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor boy. Hopefully nothing drastic & a routine float will sort him out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Gabe, he looks like something hurts every so often doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about Gabe's troubles. Here's hoping it is a minor problem. You deserve a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something IS wrong, isn't it? At least you'll only have one farm visit charge... I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope it's nothing too serious. Always something with our beloved animals, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, the worries just don't stop - but I sure hope they do after this vet visit, that the problem can be solved on the spot and you finally get a break, and then that your vet bills in the next 30 years won't come close to what they amounted to in the last six months! Also, I hope this "monster blizzard" I just heard about isn't headed your way - enough already with the aggravation! Best wishes always. e-m

    ReplyDelete