Sunday, April 6, 2014

Whew!

First, a couple of pictures for Sunday Stills, which is back up and running, thanks Ed.  The challenge was the color yellow, which I had to look hard to find around here. 

Yellow fence insulator...

and a yellow(ish) frisbee:)

It was a rare, priceless Spring day.  The kind that we see so few of and are treasured.  Fifty degrees, calm, still and glorious.  

After taking Tanner for a nice hike, I did some spring cleaning, pulling all the old straw insulation out and away from the barn.  I moved it all to the garden to use for mulch later.  You can't tell in the photo, but there is an 8 inch deep impression where the old plastic tool box sat all winter.  I put it there to help keep the frost out of the ground where the water line is.  The ground all around is still heaved up from frost.  I wonder how long it will take for it to go out of the ground this year, it has loooong way to go.  I think that toolbox is what kept my water line from freezing solid.  That slab of ice to the right is ten inches deep.

What barn could ever be without lime....

I spent a couple of hours battling an old enemy.  This is from just one hundred foot section of stone wall.  Only about a thousand feet more to go.  I hate, HATE this stuff.

Took an hour out to sit on above-mentioned-tool-box for some serious donkey time.

Two hands + two donkeys = half as much scratching as each wants.


Then it was time for a donkey walk followed by a short ride with Tessa.

Whew, no wonder I'm tired.  It was a good day though:  useful labor, gentle sunshine, good company, exercise, riding, roast chicken for dinner....I need a thousand more just like it.  Now I am headed for a bit of quality time with the couch and a book to finish it off.

PS - have I mentioned how glad I am it's Spring? 

7 comments:

  1. Yep...today was a real upper. At last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It absorbs moisture, eliminates odor, kills mold, etc. It is safe for the animals and good for the soil, very useful stuff.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Welcome Spring! Great photos as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank heavens spring has come to New York!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy springtime to you and the kids! I can tell you're savoring each little moment. 🌺

    ReplyDelete