Sunday, April 6, 2014

Free at Last!

Donkeys are so good.

I took them out yesterday, they have not been out for a walk since the day Tessa punctured her foot on the Golden Rod stem.  The Hemlock woods where we usually go still look like this....

...so I figured we would just go up the driveway and maybe down the road a bit.  They were so good and walking along so nicely with me that we were at the crossroad before I knew it.  I decided to hang a left and just keep going.  The road goes just a little ways and then turns into an unmaintained seasonal road which connects to several of the trails that wind through the hardwoods across from my house.  The snow and ice are gone from those woods and Emma and Ramsey were being so good and having such fun we ended up making the whole loop.

You'd have thought that they had been out working every day rather than walking happily down a road they had never been on before after months of confinement.  No foolishness, no balking, no dragging me around.  Donkeys are so good.

"Really Ma, what did you expect?  Of course we're good....

we may be half the size of the silly horse, but our brains are twice as big."

"SAY mA, YOU AREN'T GOING TO TRY TO MAKE US GO SWIMMING ARE YOU?  tHAT LOOKS PRETTY COLD."

"i'LL STICK WITH CHEWING ON ROCKS."

I am hoping to get the donkeys out for walks at least a few times a week.  Of course, I also want to ride my horse a few times a week and plant a garden and build stairs and and and....





Maybe one of these days I'll just chuck it all and start walking west with a pair of donkeys.  Who knows, I might run into someone else walking with a couple of donkeys along the way. We can stop and share a stump together.

10 comments:

  1. Finally, things are looking up in your part of the world. Just as they are starting to go downhill in my little area of the world -- the hot Southwest Desert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad the 3 of you got out and did so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think of it as two worthy items on your list at once ~
    hiking with donkeys is a great exercise for you and them ~
    gets you in good muscle shape for riding and gardening too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for spring. Tyche's Run would make a nice rest stop on your way west. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so great! Just wondering ... do you always halter the same donkey on a lead? Or do you switch it up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS How do you get your blog roll to list the most recent post and when it was posted? I like that option!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to see you guys all out hiking together again! Seems like a long time, they both look like they're loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just have the sweetest animals ever! Could it be that they have a good sensible owner who loves and takes care of them! It looks good to see the ground around your place again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet it was great to finally get out. I went out yesterday and started to clip back those nasty briers that are along my trail that I hike and ride. Very pleasant to listen to the birds and work quietly in the woods.

    ReplyDelete