Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Little Something Extra

Emma and Ramsey enjoyed chewing on the tree bark from the firewood so much that I decided to save it for them.  Bark is part of their natural diet after all and none of it is toxic so I can't see how it could be bad for them.  They spend at least an hour every day rummaging through it, playing with it and chewing on it.  They even carry pieces around and hide them similar to the way tanner does.  Donkeys are so very fascinating. 

Tree bark: a low calorie, high fiber snack that also provides hours of fun entertainment.  Who knew?  Maybe I should try it.
 

"Ahhh, look Ramsey, wasn't it nice of Mom to save all this yummy tree bark for us?  Eat up, fiber is good for you."

"And don't forget to play with your food."

"i THINK i'M GONNA SAVE THIS PIECE, IT'S SUCH A PERFECT SHAPE FOR BITING."

They are kind of messy eaters, but what the hell, it will help keep the mud at bay.

"Tree bark, it's what's for dinner.  Yum."....

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! My mules do just the same thing, they would rather eat the log pile than the green grass that is rapidly disappearing, must be something good in that bark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two mini Jerusalem donkeys keep the firewood I store in an open stall scattered all over the place! I think they send the goats to the top of the pile to kick down choice pieces! The goats have also trained the donkeys to stand in front of the feedroom door - a ditch door - so the goats can leap on their backs and into the grain! Love my critters!

    ReplyDelete