Monday, February 3, 2014

Taking Stock

The wood pile is dwindling at a rather alarming rate.  Anyone want to lay odds on whether it will make it to Spring?

I've been disappointed with the wood this year.  All those little round pieces burn hot, but don't hold a fire long and much of the larger stuff is riddled with rot so it too burns up fast.  It's why I have had trouble keeping things warm enough while I am gone to work and why it is not likely going to be enough to last out the season.  Quite annoying.

The "extra" hay shed is empty.  There were 150 bales in here....

I've only just started on the main hay storage though, so I think we're good.  IF I managed to count correctly, there are about 210 bales in here.

These bales are a lot heavier too so I think everybody gets to keep eating.  Especially as I have noticed Emma and Tessa both getting rather alarmingly pudgy, I need to figure out a way to limit consumption a bit more.  It's hard to believe given how cold it has been and that they eat all of their hay out of a net with one inch holes.  I am not sure what else I can do to limit intake other than make them go without for a while each day, which I really don't want to do.  It's not good for them and with a big snowstorm and more deep cold coming in tomorrow, I don't have the heart.

My giant bale of straw is about 2/3 gone and I am not sure if I can get more.  The farmer told me he would save another bale for me, but I don't see any way of getting one of those monsters into the barn with deep snow.  It does not seem to have helped with the weight issue anyway so I am not sure it is worth the effort and expense.  I think I'll spend the money on some more firewood instead and try to take the herd for more walks.

14 comments:

  1. I can see how that dwindling stock of wood would be quite alarming. I can honestly say that I do not miss the cold, but I sure do miss sitting next to a fire with a book. Seeing your wood pile made me think of that.
    Stay warm my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayfoot, strawfoot, keep those critters eating good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you burn 24/7? We have had a fire everyday since October, but do not burn all night and keep our furnace around 60. Usually get 5 face cords and it's a good hard wood so it burns well. I think we will make it. Only 40some days til spring, but who knows what that means. I bought about 250 bales of hay for my 2 horses and appear to be in pretty good shape. You should make it with what you have. Can't wait for the next big dumping of snow. Right now, our driveway is solid ice. Should look a lot different tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodstove is my only source of heat so it does burn 24/7. I usually use about 12 face cord a year. I think I am OK on hay, those bales in the first shed were fluff bales, they only weighed about twenty pounds. The rest are quite a bit heavier so will last a lot longer.

      Delete
  4. even in texas, i've gone through a lot of firewood this year because of frequent hard freezes we've had this year. up/down weather... good luck getting better firewood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please refresh my memory: what kind of hay do you feed, and what do you do with the straw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hay is a mix of native NY meadow grasses, mostly timothy, orchard and brome. The straw I use as feed as well. It ls lower in calories and energy and higher in fiber, which makes it good donkey food and good for FAT ponies like Tessa. I also use some of it as bedding. I can't get that much of it though so they end up mostly eating hay.

      Delete
  6. Yes, this is a hard year fuel-wise. I'm guessing we're not done yet though. At least two more big deep freezes on the short-term horizon. I hope you've got a source for more wood. We're on propane and they're talking about rationing in our neck of the woods. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've used a lot of wood here to in the mountains of South Carolina this year. Had 10 cords but I am down to about 4 now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some neat sheds around there! With this crazy cold winter it's hard to tell about the wood. I think we all could use an early spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is alarming. I know there are a lot of folks in the same situation around here. They are worried about their piles of wood.
    LP is in shortage and very pricey.
    We are fortunate that we have a very small cottage and only use about 200 gallons of LP a year.
    We would need a new wood stove and chimney to burn wood.
    Our hay supply has diminished and now hubby has to go weekly to get hay.
    But they have to eat a LOT of hay to stay warm in this cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A local farmer in Ireland once told us that we needed to have half of our winter feed left on Feb 1st. I know the climate is much colder there, but I reckon it's still a good rule of thumb! Sounds like you're ok with hay, but definitely not your timber - is it easy to buy in extra?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ordered another 50 bales of hay. With the ground so covered even the horses are having trouble breaking through. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure wish you could have the rest of the tree on the ground at our neighbor's house. It came down during one of the tornadoes a couple of years ago and has been difficult to cut up since it is so big. However, they are whittling at it bit by bit and selling it to one of the local barbeque restaurants. We had a wood stove as our only source of heat for a few years when the kids were small. It does do well but will wear you out hauling it and also cleaning out the ashes.

    ReplyDelete