Saturday, May 15, 2021

Another Contentious Election

I know you have all been waiting on pins and needles for the outcome of the name election.  I apologize for the the delay in reporting the results, but you know how elections are these days......Here's what happened:

I was trying to find the name that stuck to this little guy and I had some great candidates.  Names have term limits, though, and can't be reelected after already serving a full term.  That knocked out my first choice, along with many others given that I am getting older and have known a lot of animals.  Under pressure from lobbyists and special interest groups, I finally narrowed the choice down to two options and the election began.  

That is when the lobbying really started.

Under pressure from all sides I became disillusioned by both parties.  While the politics were flying hot and heavy, I did what I always do - I hunkered down and played with my puppies.  This particular puppy has an extremely strong sense of self and opinions on everything.  He was completely uninterested in either of the name candidates.  Instead, every morning, he climbs to the highest possible peak (his chair), and proclaims I AM. 

The name is something like: grawrie-arri-orrruuuu

Who am I to argue with such a clear statement?  The only problem was how to translate that into something we pitiful humans can pronounce and use on all those pesky adulting things like vet records and recalls.  So, after even more debate about the pronounceability of Rory or Roarey or Rawrie, Farm Buddy and I did something that seems to have been forgotten in our modern politics - we compromised and agreed on:

Orrie *

*Please note that this was a legitimate election.  My vote counts more than yours because I buy the food, pay the vet, and share my bed with Orrie.  Farm Buddy's vote counts because she is my best friend of nearly 30 years, has to provide babysitting, and will never let me hear the end of it.  Orrie gets a vote because dogs (even baby dogs) should be respected for the amazing, wonderful, intelligent creatures that they are.  There will be no recounts and insurrection attempts will be put down with the shame and ridicule they deserve.    

Welcome to the farm, and to the deep parts of my oft-cracked heart, little Orrie.  












12 comments:

  1. These dogs are the best! Love the post and Orrie is an awesome name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be something in the Windsprite DNA that makes them such snugglers. Welcome Orrie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, this Orrie is a very special pup, AND Ian is crazy about him!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Orrie!! You will be well loved and cared for !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your well-reasoned statement (made me chuckle) would hold up in a court of law, Kris, therefore, no objection here, either.:) Welcome to the Internet, Orrie! Hope to see you here, and read about you, as often as possible! -Irmgard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes election results come out the way they should. Orrie is a perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ORRIE is a wonderful name! So glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could "hear" the sound grawrie-arri-orrruuuu in my mind. But, I wish you could record Orrie making the sound so we all could hear it with his personal accent! I believe animals speak to us, we just have to listen up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a fun post, Kris! As usual, your photos are perfection; I can't say from personal experience, but I'm guessing they capture those wonderful personalities to a T. Congratulations on your delightful little Orrie, both the pup and the name. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the name Orrie, it sounds like a good name to call. Our latst was gogn to be Merlin, but when h arrived he was blatantly not a merlin, so the name search began. One day the name Luka just popped out and hubby agreed that was it, and now we have a Luka, never having considered that name until that moment! Personally I think he told me that name, because, like Orrie, he has MANY STRONG OPINIONS. Luckily it's a good name to call, and to bark when he is gnawing on a patient Lab for the nth time today.

    ReplyDelete