Thursday, December 29, 2011

About me

The other day when the winner of my horse naming contest sent me her address she started her email with something like, "ironically, I cant find your name anywhere".  That got me thinking that I haven't really introduced myself.  So, I will try to tell you a little about me, Kris Maxwell.

Growing up , I always wanted to be a vet and was well on my way to it but got sidetracked by some serious health problems (for example, I had pneumonia 6 times in two years).  Instead of going to vet school I ended up with dual degrees in equine science and agricultural technology and eventually, an associates in Histology.  Don't worry if you have never heard of that one, hardly anyone has.  What is means, is that I work in a hospital lab handling tissue specimens.  Not exactly my dream come true but it pays the bills. 

Along the way, I spent several years working in an animal shelter and I have given riding and horsemanship lessons on and off for many years.  Not so much anymore as there just doesn't seem to be that many people interested in getting started with horses anymore and I don't have the time to devote to it.

For many years, I spent a lot of time working with my best friend on her farm where we raise grassfed beef and lamb.  Along with chickens, pigs and vegetables.  I don't do as much as I used to there but, the farm is still a big part of my life.  One of these days I'll give you a proper introduction.  It is a beautiful farm owned by a remarkably hard-working woman.  I got a start on my carpentry skills by building the windows in the barn....

A couple of years ago I decided to build a house.  This had never really been a goal of mine but, having my own farm that did not include a huge mortgage was.  I decided to do most of the work myself more out of desperation than a desire to become a carpenter.  I just couldn't afford to pay what it would have cost to hire someone to do the work.  Also, finding and dealing with contractors turned into one of the most frustrating and infuriating experiences of my life.  If just one more of them had told me to "have my husband call"....well lets just say it wouldn't have been pretty.  I did finally find someone to put the shell of my building up and I did the rest, from insulation to hardwood floor.  It isn't perfect and there is still some work to be done but, it is cozy, comfortable, mine and it is paid for.
A year or two ago, I met a fellow horsewoman who lives just down the road from me and she has become my other best friend and riding buddy.  There was a time that I almost gave up having horses because a lot of the fun had gone out of it.  Having a friend to ride with who understands about the horses has made all the difference.  We have a great time bushwhacking through the woods and riding in the very rare parade.
A few months ago, I was still grieving over Tessa's life altering injury and unsure what to do next.  Looking for a safe, cheap companion for her, I found a little donkey who needed rescuing.  You all know what that has led to.  Lord only knows where we will all end up next.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to know a bit of the story behind it all. Really enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - very pleased to "meet" you! And so glad to have found your blog - I know I'll come here for as long as you are willing to share.

    Best wishes always,
    Evemarie

    ReplyDelete